This project is addition to my Firefly amp. I need delay pedal and the thing with delay pedals it that they sound best when used after distortion. Since Firefly amp gets most of it’s distortion from output stage FX-loop is out of question, so only option is to make chain Amp -> Line-Out -> Delay Pedal -> other amp’s power amp or line in. Also, it’s good for home recording directly from amp. Additionally, it features a light bulb attenuator that reduces volume and adds compression.
How it works?
- dummy load resistor in case speaker is not used
- bulb attenuator in series with the speaker
- transformer coupled line out based on Firezog
When speaker is not plugged, dummy load resistor is switched into the circuit. As signal increases, light bulb warms up and increases it’s resistance. That reduces the volume while making compression effect. It may be useful to add a switch that bypasses the bulb when this effect is not desired. It turns out that Firefly has enough compression on its own.
- 1:1 audio isolation transformer
- 5K log pot
- 8.2ohm 5W dummy load resistor (I used 11W resistor, adjust value if using speaker other than 8ohm)
- 1x 10K 1/2W resistor
- 3x mono jack
- 12V 0.2A (2.4W) light bulb with socket
Click on an image to see more details.